Monday, March 15, 2010

Is sex-role stereotypes ever going to end?

From the book Rethinking Early Childhood Education mentions around 40 years our society has experienced changes of gender equity in education after a trip to the mall. They say that toys stores still remain selling sex-role stereotype toys. The norm for boy toys are G.I. Joe, cars, trucks, weapons, and other destructive toys, and for girls are Barbie, Polly pocket, dress up, and other dainty toys.
Now teachers are trying to change it up. They want to teach children anybody can play with any toy. You don't have to be a girl to play with dolls or you don't have to be a boy to play action figures. We have to try and make children to feel comfortable to do anything. For example, growing up as a kid I would always want the boy toy from McDonalds because of the car. But my mom said "No you're a girl and girls get the Barbie not cars. I couldn't understand why it was such a big deal. All my life I was puzzled and wonder why I couldn't get dirty with my boy cousins or play sports. Later on, my teacher spoke with my mom and said that I was very talented in sports and I should try out. My mom was very amazed by my teacher's comments that she accepted who I am and let me be whoever I wanted to be.
From reading both stories, I was able to relate to it because I was exactly like that. Therefore, whenever I had the chance to teach children or work with my clients I always made sure that they can do anything what they love. No one can stop them and they're unique in what they do. Every obstacle is a challenge to better themselves and to be better and stronger people.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bree,
    I enjoyed reading your posting. In the classroom setting, boys tend to play in the block center with cars, blocks, tracks...and the girls tend to play in the home/dramatic center. Do you have any ideas of how to encourage the boys and the girls to play in both centers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bree,
    Since I was may be four years old, I have been always the type: Tomboy. I never played with Barbie and I never had interest in her. In my classroom, my boys and girls take turn playing in the Block center. I do have to say the boys stay there more frequently and longer than the girls. In the Home corner, my boys participate there just as much as the girls. Yes, one boys did put a small baby in his stomach and he said he was having a baby. But I try to encourage the gender neutral toys, games and themes in my classroom. I guess we just have to teach our parents that any educational games or toys should be focus on learning and not gender bias.
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bree,
    Can gender be both limiting and empowering? In your story, you share how the construction of being a girl because a means to stop you from being involved in sports. Would redefining what it means to be a girl change the actions and activities that are considered "girl"? How can redefining of girl consider the history and societal expectations of gender?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha Bree,

    I too was that girl who was always doing the "boy" things. Maybe it was because growing up there were only boys around me. Nonetheless, I believe I still can be "girly", get dirty, play sports, etc. How do you believe these gender constructs limit girls (or boys) to such experiences? What are the benefits of children having experiences that stretch beyond gender specific stereotypes?

    ReplyDelete